Historic preservationists visit the coast | News
BILOXI, MS (WLOX)- Historic preservationists from around the state are on the coast this week to talk about the connection between history and tourism.
The group is holding a conference called "The Power of Preservation in Economic Development".
Some of the coast's best known historic places are under the spotlight. The two day conference is dedicated to making sure the coast's culture and heritage is preserved and continues to be a great way to draw people to South Mississippi.
"That's the people, who spend more money and stay longer in a community. The things they like to do is go to museums, which is the preservation side. They look at architecture, whether old or new, that plays to the history and heritage. That's what people want to see," Bob Wilson with Mississippi Main Street said.
The group is touring historic sites in Ocean Springs and Biloxi on Thursday and Friday.
Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.
Top Wiggins - Perkinston Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Weekend Whereabouts: May 24-27
- Fugitives nabbed at daybreak by Pearl River County authorities
- PRCC graduates advised to set goals and keep trying
- Hand grenade found inside truck parked at Poplarville car dealership
- Graduates of the associate degree nursing program at Pearl River Community College receive their pi